RKI.news | Sources: Anadolu
UNITED NATIONS: The UN Security Council held a second non-binding straw poll Friday as the selection process to succeed Secretary-General Antonio Guterres moves forward.
Ambassador Christina Markus Lassen, Denmark’s permanent representative to the UN and president of the Security Council for August, confirmed that the second round had been completed.
“The second round of straw polls has taken place,” Lassen told reporters.
She said candidates would receive the results through the permanent representatives of the member states that nominated them, while the UN General Assembly president would also be informed.
The secret straw polls are intended to measure support among the 15 Security Council members and potentially narrow the field before the Council makes a formal recommendation to the General Assembly.
A candidate needs at least nine votes to secure the required support. However, any of the five permanent members — the US, China, France, Russia and the UK — can block a candidate through a veto.
The final nominee must be appointed by the General Assembly.
Guterres’ term ends on Dec. 31. Eight candidates have so far been nominated for the position.
Leave a Reply